Jan 10, 2011

Street Style: Second-hand Rose

100% thrifted.
Jade loves her secondhand thrift stores. Shown shopping the racks at Thrift Town.
First-rate street style comes from second-hand clothing.

I met Jade over the clothing racks at the El Camino location of Thrift Town. She was shopping with her grandmother.  We exchanged admiration over our outfits, and noted that both were 100% thrifted, A Sacramento native and former fashion student, Jade now studies Literature and Art in North Carolina, where she assures me, the thrift stores are pretty amazing. I get the feeling she REALLY likes to thrift shop. 

When asked about what inspires her fashion, she says simply:" music." She plays it as she dresses and an outfit emerges. "You should have seen me in my Lady Gaga phase," she laughs. "If I'm listening to Katy Perry, it's something fun and colorful; if it's Slipknot, I'll be wearing dark colors, maybe wear something more androgynous. I definitely dress to express." 

While no stranger to fast fashion stores, (she mentions Forever 21 as a place where she buys some of her accessories and tights," she says pointedly "if it's not from the Goodwill, it's probably something from my grandma's closet." It's a good thing her grandma is a snappy dresser.

(text and photos: Bella Q)

8 comments:

Heather Fonseca said...

Love it! I wish I could get more into thrift shopping. I'm just so non-courageous that way. Good for her! I love the combination of street style photography with an interview. Fab!

Love,
Heather
http://heathersdesignblog.com/

theequinebovine said...

wow! look at that cardigan!

the Citizen Rosebud said...

@Heather: I wish you could too. There's so much out there, new and vintage that you could score for so much less than if you bought it new at the mall. How about finding a pair of Nanette Lapore capri's for under 2 bucks. Yep. I did.

@FashionFarm: I KNOW! It inspired me to buy a black "fugly" sweater with sequins on the shoulders. Let's see if I can work up the cahones to wear it.

mispapelicos said...

Fantastic, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh take me to GOODWILL inmediatelly, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
(suspiros)
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Anonymous said...

I love posts like this. Pam at over50feeling40 often will interview people in line while shopping, but this captures something I've noticed in thrift stores. Eclectic dresses. Like what she has to say about music as inspiration.

the Citizen Rosebud said...

Terri you made a good point. I often admire the amount of snazzy dressers when I'm thrift shopping. So much variety and character.

Beautifully Invisible said...

What a great post! I love her look. I have tried to do some thrifting in Cleveland and so far I haven't really had any luck. The "good" buys (like the Nanette Lepore capris you mentioned above) always end up at consignment shops and are STILL ridiculously expensive. So far I haven't had much luck at regular thrift stores.

the Citizen Rosebud said...

We are really lucky to have the selection of thrift stores that we do here in Sacramento, B. As I get older, and larger, the vintage selection is more challenging but there are thriftstores like Thrift Town and Goodwill here that have loads of new clothes, for cheap!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...